Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Palmerston, Darwin and parts of Cox Peninsula and Litchfield areas.
Issued at 10:42 pm Sunday, 14 January 2018.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 10:40 pm, potential severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Howard Springs and McMinns Lagoon.
They are forecast to affect Darwin City, the Northern Suburbs and Palmerston by 11:10 pm and Belyuen, Mandorah and the base of Cox Peninsula by 11:40 pm.
Damaging winds are likely.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au