Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Litchfield area.
Issued at 3:56 pm Tuesday, 17 December 2019.
FIERCE THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED IN THE DARWIN RURAL AREA
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 3:55 pm, potential severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Mary River National Park to the north of the Arnhem Highway and Corroboree Billabong. They are forecast to affect Middle Point, the Adelaide River to the east of Darwin and the Adelaide River to the southeast of Darwin by 4:55 pm.
Damaging winds are likely.
A 113km/h wind gust was recorded at Middle Point at 2:52pm.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au