Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Palmerston, Darwin and parts of Litchfield areas.
Issued at 2:14 pm Thursday, 19 December 2019.
FAST MOVING THUNDERSTORMS APPROACHING DARWIN AREA
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 2:15 pm, potential severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Gunn Point and the Adelaide River to the east of Darwin. They are forecast to affect Lee Point, Howard Springs and Shoal Bay by 2:45 pm and Darwin City, the Northern Suburbs and Palmerston by 3:15 pm.
Damaging winds are likely.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au