Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Northern and Outer East Local Warning Areas.
Issued at 5:57 pm Sunday, 19 January 2020.
Thunderstorms north of the metropolitan area
Severe thunderstorm continuing to the north of the city, potentially producing large hail, damaging winds, and heavy rainfall which may lead to flash flooding.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:55 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Flowerdale and Kilmore. They are forecast to affect the area east of Whittlesea by 6:25 pm and Gisborne, Healesville and the area east of Gisborne by 6:55 pm.
Damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Golf ball sized hail has been reported across a number of eastern suburbs.
5cm hail reported in Glen Iris.
25mm rainfall recorded at Doncaster.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Check that loose items such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured and move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Stay indoors and away from windows.
* If outdoors, move to a safe place indoors. Stay away from trees, drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
* If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, drains, low-lying areas and floodwater. Avoid travel if possible.
* Stay safe by avoiding dangerous hazards, such as floodwater, mud, debris, damaged roads and fallen trees.
* Stay away from fallen powerlines always assume they are live.
* Stay informed monitor weather warnings, forecasts and river levels at the Bureau of Meteorology website, and warnings through VicEmergency.