Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Illawarra, South Coast and parts of Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, Snowy Mountains and Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 7:41 pm Friday, 12 January 2018.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in the Illawarra, South Coast and parts of the Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands and Snowy Mountains districts. Locations which may be affected include Wollongong, Nowra, Bowral, Batemans Bay, Eden and Goulburn.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Northern Tablelands district. Locations which may be affected include Armidale, Tenterfield, Glen Innes, Tabulam, Guyra and Emmaville.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast, Central West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes and Australian Capital Territory districts and the warning for these districts is CANCELLED.
92 km/h wind gust Narranderra at 3:40pm
109 km/h wind gust at Forbes at 4:48pm
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.