Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Riverina and parts of Lower Western, Upper Western and Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 6:49 pm Wednesday, 15 January 2020.
STORM OUTBREAK IN WESTERN NSW
Thunderstorms expected throughout most of New South Wales today as a slow moving trough in the west combines with a moist northeasterly airmass.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in parts of the Northern Tablelands district. Locations which may be affected include Armidale, Glen Innes, Inverell, Uralla, Tingha and Bundarra.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in the Riverina and parts of the Lower Western and Upper Western districts. Locations which may be affected include Deniliquin, Hay, Broken Hill, Ivanhoe, Menindee and Balranald.
35mm was recorded in the 30 minutes to 6.30pm at Gowan Brae (near Armidale).
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.