Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Mid North Coast, North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains, Upper Western and Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 4:52 pm Friday, 17 January 2020.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce intense rainfall that may lead to dangerous and life-threatening flash flooding and damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Mid North Coast and Northern Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Taree, Harrington, Old Bar, Comboyne, Nowendoc, Gloucester, Forster, Seal Rocks, Bulahdelah, Wingham, Yarrowitch and Walcha.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains, Upper Western and Northern Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Inverell, Dubbo, Parkes, Wellington, Bourke, Forbes, Gilgandra, Peak Hill, Brewarrina, Enngonia, Louth and Fords Bridge.
Be aware that run-off from rainfall in fire affected areas may behave differently and be more rapid. It may also contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.
51mm fell in 30min to 3.45pm at Bungwahl.
65mm in 30min to 4.45pm at Killabakh.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.