Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Northern Tablelands and parts of Northern Rivers and North West Slopes and Plains Forecast Districts.
Issued at 9:28 pm Friday, 17 January 2020.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Tenterfield, Glen Innes, Inverell, Tabulam, Ashford and Bingara.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Mid North Coast district and the warning for this district is CANCELLED.
Be aware that run-off from rainfall in fire affected areas may behave differently and be more rapid. It may also contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.
51mm fell in 30min to 3.45pm at Bungwahl.
65mm in 30min to 4.45pm at Killabakh.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.