Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Northern Rivers, Northern Tablelands and parts of Mid North Coast, North West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains and Australian Capital Territory Forecast Districts.
Issued at 5:37 pm Thursday, 13 February 2020.
Slow-moving thunderstorms/showers with heavy rain in northeast and southern inalnd.
Severe thunderstorms or convective showers are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in the Northern Rivers, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Mid North Coast and North West Slopes and Plains districts. Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Armidale, Tenterfield, Tamworth, Gunnedah and Narrabri.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in parts of the South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains and Australian Capital Territory districts. Locations which may be affected include Mount Ginini, Tidbinbilla, Charlotte Pass, Cabramurra, Selwyn and Khancoban.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Hunter district and the warning for this district is CANCELLED.
64 mm was observed at Tuncester (Leycester Creek) in the 1hr to 13.02.2020 11:48am.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Be aware that run-off from rainfall in fire affected areas may behave differently and be more rapid. It may also contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
* After bushfires, heavy rain and the loss of foliage can make the ground soft and heavy, leading to a greater chance of landslides.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.