Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Illawarra, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains and parts of Metropolitan, North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains, Riverina, Upper Western and Australian Capital Territory Forecast Districts.
Issued at 7:25 pm Tuesday, 18 February 2020.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the North West Slopes and Plains and Upper Western districts. Locations which may be affected include Mungindi, Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri and Goodooga.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones over the next several hours in the Illawarra, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains and parts of the Metropolitan, Central West Slopes and Plains, Riverina and Australian Capital Territory districts. Locations which may be affected include Wollongong, Nowra, Orange, Canberra, Goulburn and Parkes.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.