Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Daly, Arnhem and Tanami districts.
Issued at 8:06 pm Thursday, 26 December 2019.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUING OVER KAKADU NATIONAL PARK. A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING OVER THE TANAMI DISTRICT.
Weather Situation: Radar and satellite imagery at 8:00 pm shows isolated severe thunderstorms persisting over Kakadu National Park and moving to the northwest. Another line of severe thunderstorms is developing over the Tanami District and moving towards the north.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Daly and Arnhem districts. Locations which may be affected include Jabiru.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Tanami district. Locations which may be affected include Rabbit Flat.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Gregory district and the warning for this district is CANCELLED.
A 113 km/h wind gust was reported at Central Arnhem Plateau (Kakadu National Park) at 5:48 pm.
A 78 km/h wind gust was reported at Jabiru at 7:28 pm.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au