Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Daly, Arnhem and Gregory districts.
Issued at 10:03 am Friday, 27 December 2019.
VIGOROUS THUNDERSTORMS ARE MOVING ACROSS THE ARNHEM DISTRICT AND THE SOUTHWEST DALY DISTRICT
Weather Situation: a low pressure trough south of the Top End is moving northwards.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Arnhem district. Locations which may be affected include Jabiru, Maningrida, Milingimbi, Cooinda, Ramingining, Warruwi, Gunbalanya, Murganella and Minjilang.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Daly and Gregory districts. Locations which may be affected include Wadeye, Palumpa and Peppimenarti.
A wind gust of 72 km/h was recorded at Bradshaw at 9:30am today.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au