Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Daly, Arnhem, Carpentaria and Gregory districts.
Issued at 6:33 pm Thursday, 16 January 2020.
A SEVERE SQUALL LINE IN NORTHWEST ARNHEM. ANOTHER SEVERE THUNDERSTORM SOUTH OF KATHERINE.
Weather Situation: At 6:30pm radar and satellite imagery showed a squall line over the northwest Arnhem District moving at 50-60km/h towards the west and may impact Warruwi, Gunbalanya and Jabiru between 6:30pm and 7:30pm. Another severe thunderstorm has developed south of Katherine and is moving towards the west.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Arnhem district. Locations which may be affected include Jabiru, Cooinda, Warruwi, Gunbalanya, Murganella and Minjilang.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Daly, Carpentaria and Gregory districts.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au