Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Carpentaria district.
Issued at 9:56 pm Sunday, 16 February 2020.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS MOVING NORTHWEST TOWARDS KATHERINE
Weather Situation: A line of severe thunderstorms has developed to the east and southeast of Katherine, and is moving towards the town. If the thunderstorms maintain their intensity, they are expected to impact Katherine from around 11pm
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Katherine.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au