Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Tanami and parts of Arnhem, Carpentaria, Barkly and Lasseter districts.
Issued at 6:00 pm Saturday, 18 January 2020.
SLOW-MOVING THUNDERSTORMS BRING DRENCHING RAIN TO CENTRAL DISTRICTS AND SOUTHEAST TOP END
Weather Situation: Thunderstorms are developing in a moist and unstable air mass north and west of a trough through the Lasseter and Barkly districts.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Yuendumu, Wulungurru, Rabbit Flat, Nyirripi, Willowra, Ngukurr, south west Tanami District near WA border and Barkly District west of Tennant Creek.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Simpson district and the warning for this district is CANCELLED.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* slow down and turn your headlights on
* create your own sandbags if there is flooding, by using pillow cases or shopping bags filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au