Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Daly and Arnhem districts.
Issued at 9:12 pm Wednesday, 26 February 2020.
SLOW MOVING THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCING DRENCHING RAIN
Weather Situation: A band of slow moving thunderstorms has formed to the north of Ex-Tropical Cyclone Esther.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Wadeye, Nauiyu, Adelaide River, Pine Creek, Barunga and Beswick.
Nitmiluk Ridge recorded 88mm and Seventeen Mile Creek recorded 72mm in the hour from 7-8pm.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* slow down and turn your headlights on
* create your own sandbags if there is flooding, by using pillow cases or shopping bags filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au