Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Barkly and Simpson districts.
Issued at 4:33 pm Friday, 3 April 2020.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE AFFECTING THE NORTHERN SIMPSON AND SOUTHERN BARKLY DISTRICTS
Weather Situation: a moist and unstable air mass lies ahead of a trough through the Simpson and southern Tanami districts. An active area of thunderstorms is located between Arltunga and Jervois, moving towards the east.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Arltunga, Jervois and Simpson District east of Finke.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Lasseter and Tanami districts and the warning for these districts is CANCELLED.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* slow down and turn your headlights on
* create your own sandbags if there is flooding, by using pillow cases or shopping bags filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home
* secure loose outside objects
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* avoid remaining in the open when storms threaten
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au