Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Gregory and Tanami districts.
Issued at 11:05 am Monday, 2 March 2020.
BECOMING WET AND WINDY AS EX-TROPICAL CYCLONE ESTHER MAKES A RETURN TO THE NT
Weather Situation: Ex-Tropical Cyclone Esther currently located over the southeast Kimberley region is moving east southeast towards the NT and is expected to move into the northern Tanami District tonight.
DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts of around 90 km/h are likely to start developing across the northwestern Tanami and southwestern Gregory Districts today, extending across the remainder of the northern Tanami District during Tuesday.
HEAVY RAINFALL which may lead to FLASH FLOODING may develop today over the northwestern Tanami and southwestern Gregory Districts and extending across the remainder of the northern Tanami District during Tuesday.
A Flood Watch is current for the Tanami Desert, Central Desert, MacDonnell Ranges, Barkly, Georgina River and Simpson Desert.
Locations which may be affected include Lajamanu, Rabbit Flat, Supplejack Downs, The Granites, Barkly District west of Tennant Creek and Gregory District west of Daguragu.
57mm fell at Rabbit Flat in the 24hrs to 9am this morning.
The Northern Territory Emergency Service advises that people should:
* secure loose outside objects and seek shelter when conditions deteriorate
* pull over if it is raining heavily and you cannot see, park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears
* avoid driving into water of unknown depth and current
* create your own sandbags if there is flooding, by using pillow cases or shopping bags filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home
* stay away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways
* ensure pets and animals are safe
* be prepared in case of power outages, have an emergency kit with a radio, torch, spare batteries and first aid kit
* for emergency help in floods, storms and cyclones, contact the NTES on 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.securent.nt.gov.au