Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Greater Perth area.
Issued at 12:41 pm Wednesday, 26 February 2020.
Weather Situation: Severe thunderstorm possible across the southern suburbs from Rockingham to Mandurah
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 12:35 pm, a potentially severe thunderstorm was detected on the weather radar just to the west of Garden Island. This thunderstorm is moving towards the south to southeast. It is forecast to affect Mandurah, Henderson, Rockingham and Secret Harbour by 1:05 pm and Nambeelup, North Dandalup and Pinjarra by 1:35 pm.
Large hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds are possible.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If there is flooding, create your own sandbags by using pillow cases filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
* Slow down and turn your headlights on.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* If it is raining heavily and you cannot see, pull over and park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears.