Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Greater Perth area.
Issued at 2:32 am Thursday, 27 February 2020.
A severe thunderstorm over waters west of Perth will move over Rottnest Island and southern coastal suburbs.
Weather Situation: A severe thunderstorm over waters west of Perth will move over Rottnest Island and southern coastal suburbs.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 2:30 am, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar west of Scarborough. These thunderstorms are moving towards the south southeast. They are forecast to affect Rottnest Island by 2:40 am and Mandurah, Dawesville, Fremantle, Henderson, Rockingham and Secret Harbour by 3:20 am.
Large hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds are likely.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If there is flooding, create your own sandbags by using pillow cases filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
* Slow down and turn your headlights on.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* If it is raining heavily and you cannot see, pull over and park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears.