Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Peninsula Forecast District.
Issued at 2:14 pm Saturday, 18 January 2020.
Localised severe storms expected over northern Cape York Peninsula.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Lockhart River, Weipa, Coen, Aurukun, Old Mapoon and Napranum.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.