Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Herbert and Lower Burdekin and Wide Bay and Burnett Forecast Districts.
Issued at 4:06 pm Saturday, 18 April 2020.
Heavy falls surrounding Townsville, while damaging winds and giant hail are in thunderstorms around Hervey Bay
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in parts of the Herbert and Lower Burdekin district. Locations which may be affected include Townsville, Ayr, Giru, Alva Beach, Woodstock and Rollingstone.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large, possibly giant hailstones and damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Wide Bay and Burnett district. Locations which may be affected include Bundaberg, Rainbow Beach, Maryborough, Hervey Bay, Fraser Island and Gin Gin.
Hailstones exceeding 5cm over Fraser Island
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.