Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Scenic Rim and Gold Coast Council Areas.
Issued at 6:32 pm Tuesday, 24 December 2019.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 6:30 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Border Ranges National Park and Mount Barney. These thunderstorms are slow moving. They are forecast to affect the McPherson Range, Rathdowney and Lamington National Park by 7:00 pm and Maroon Dam and the area south of Canungra by 7:30 pm.
Heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding is likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.