Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Brisbane City, Moreton Bay and parts of Somerset, Scenic Rim, Gold Coast, Redland City and Sunshine Coast Council Areas.
Issued at 3:53 pm Tuesday, 21 January 2020.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 3:50 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Beaudesert, Mount Nebo, Highvale, Dayboro, Woodford, Mount Beerwah and Lake Manchester. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east. They are forecast to affect Strathpine, Beerburrum, Beerwah, Peachester, Crohamhurst and Maleny by 4:20 pm and Brisbane CBD, Redcliffe, the area southwest of Caloundra, Landsborough, Montville and Palmwoods by 4:50 pm.
Damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.