Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Redland City, Brisbane City and parts of Logan, Scenic Rim, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay Council Areas.
Issued at 4:08 pm Tuesday, 21 January 2020
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:00 pm, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Beaudesert. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Canungra by 4:30 pm and Numinbah Valley, Little Nerang Dam, Mudgeeraba, Nerang and Mount Tamborine by 5:00 pm.
Other severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Samford, Lake Samsonvale, Mount Beerwah, Peachester, Crohamhurst, Maleny and Upper Brookfield. They are forecast to affect Brisbane CBD, Strathpine, Kallangur, Beerburrum, Beerwah and Landsborough by 4:30 pm and Logan City, Cleveland, Caloundra, the area southwest of Caloundra, Bribie Island and northern Bribie Island by 5:00 pm.
Damaging, locally destructive winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.