Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Logan, Redland City, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane City and parts of Ipswich, Scenic Rim, Gold Coast, Noosa and Moreton Bay Council Areas.
Issued at 4:29 pm Tuesday, 21 January 2020.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:20 pm, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Beaudesert, Landsborough, Crohamhurst, Maleny, Conondale, Montville and Mount Beerwah. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect the area southwest of Caloundra, Mount Tamborine, Tamborine, Palmwoods, Nambour and Mapleton by 4:50 pm and Maroochydore, Caloundra, waters off Caloundra, waters off Maroochydore, Jimboomba and Yandina by 5:20 pm.
Other severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Redbank Plains, Wacol and Archerfield. They are forecast to affect Logan City, Woodridge, Sunnybank Hills, Slacks Creek, Tingalpa Reservoir and Camp Hill by 4:50 pm and Beenleigh, Cleveland, Logan Village, Mount Cotton, Victoria Point and Ormiston by 5:20 pm.
Damaging, locally destructive winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.