Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in East Gippsland and parts of North East and West and South Gippsland Forecast Districts.
Issued at 5:42 pm Friday, 12 January 2018.
Weather Situation: A warm and humid air mass sits over central and eastern Victoria ahead of a cold front crossing Bass Strait. The front is expected to move into eastern Victoria by this evening.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Sale, Maffra, Bairnsdale, Orbost, Falls Creek and Omeo.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Central and North Central districts and the warning for these districts is CANCELLED.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
* Be alert that in areas recently affected by fires, heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* If you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* Listen to the radio for storm updates
* Switch off your computer and electrical appliances