Source: WA Department of Fire & Emergency Services
Time of issue: 04:05 PM
Date of issue: 14 January 2018
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for Mundaring Weir Village in SHIRE OF MUNDARING and CITY of KALAMUNDA
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in and near the Mundaring Weir Village, near Mundaring Weir Road between Firewood Road and Lockwood Road in the Shire of Mundaring and City of Kalamunda.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- The fire started near the intersection of Gorrie Rd and Chamber Road in Mundaring.
- It is burning in a westerly direction towards Mundaring Weir
WHAT TO DO:
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
Bushfire ADVICE for 12km south-east of Mundaring in SHIRE OF MUNDARING
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people 10km south of Great Eastern Highway near Gorrie Road, Chambers Road and Firewood Road in the Shire of Mundaring.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of Gorrie Rd and Chamber Road in Mundaring and is travelling west towards Mundaring Weir
WHAT TO DO:
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving fast in a westerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Firewood Road from the intersection of Mundaring Weir Road
- Gorrie Road
- Smit Road from the intersection Yarra Road
- Bibbulmun Track between the Hills Forest and Mt Dale
- Ashendon Road between Mundaring Weir Road and Dale West Road
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR SHIRE OF MUNDARING.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene, actively fighting the fire, building containment lines.
- 150 Parks and Wildlife Service, Bush Fire Service, DFES firefighters are attending.
- Aerial support has been sent to assist ground crews.
- The fire was reported at 08:30 AM on 14 January 2018 and currently there has been 1000 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is suspicious.
- Parks and Wildlife Service is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
DFES Current Bushfires