Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Kimberley district.
Issued at 5:43 pm Monday, 23 December 2019.
A line of severe thunderstorms is moving through the northern Kimberley.
Weather Situation: At 5:30 pm satellite imagery showed a line of thunderstorms 30 km from Gibb River, moving northwest at 60 km/h. The line of storms may impact Kalumburu after 6.30 pm WST and Mitchell Plateau after 7:00pm.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Kalumburu, Mitchell Plateau and Mount Barnett.
A gust of 116 km/h was reported at Wyndham Airport at 3.33 pm WST.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If there is flooding, create your own sandbags by using pillow cases filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
* Slow down and turn your headlights on.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* If it is raining heavily and you cannot see, pull over and park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears.