Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Pilbara district.
Issued at 8:16 pm Monday, 30 December 2019.
An area of severe thunderstorms has been observed in the inland Pilbara
At 8.00PM WST satellite and radar imagery indicated possible thunderstorms over the inland parts of the Pilbara. This storm area is likely to remain near stationary.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Millstream, Nullagine and Pannawonica.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer likely to occur over waters off the Pilbara coast and the warning for Barrow Island is CANCELLED.
Storms could cause DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY.
At 3:30 PM WST a 98km/h wind gust was detected at Barimunya airport. Similar damaging wind gusts may be experienced in the area over the next few hours.
The overall weather pattern is not unusual for this time of year but severe weather may occur in some parts of the warning area.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If there is flooding, create your own sandbags by using pillow cases filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
* Slow down and turn your headlights on.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* If it is raining heavily and you cannot see, pull over and park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears.