Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Kimberley district.
Issued at 10:50 am Tuesday, 31 December 2019.
A line of thunderstorms is approaching Kununurra.
Weather Situation: At 10:30 am radar imagery showed a line of potentially severe thunderstorms 30 km to the southeast of Kununurra, moving towards the northwest at 50 km/h. The line of thunderstorms is expected to reach Kununurra between 11:00 am and 11:30 am, and Wyndham between 12:30 pm and 1:00 pm.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds with gusts to 100 km/h possible in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Kununurra, Wyndham and Lake Argyle.
Storms could cause DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY.
The overall weather pattern is not unusual for this time of year but severe weather may occur in some parts of the warning area.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If there is flooding, create your own sandbags by using pillow cases filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
* Slow down and turn your headlights on.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* If it is raining heavily and you cannot see, pull over and park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears.