Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in South Coastal and parts of South West and South East Coastal districts.
Issued at 5:07 am Friday, 13 May 2022.
Damaging winds developing over southwestern parts of the state during Friday morning.
Weather Situation: A low pressure system over waters to the south of Albany will deepen and move in an east to northeasterly direction during Friday morning. A showery flow with strong west to southwesterly winds is expected to develop to the north and west of the low.
DAMAGING WIND GUSTS to 90 kilometres per hour are possible over coastal parts of the South West district early Friday morning, extending eastwards through the South Coastal and South East Coastal districts during the morning. Conditions are expected to ease from the west by late afternoon.
Locations which may be affected include Albany, Esperance, Mount Barker, Hopetoun, Israelite Bay and Walpole.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.