Source: Bureau of Meteorology
Issued at 10:46 am Friday, 13 May 2022.
Damaging winds developing over the south coast today.
Weather Situation: A complex low pressure system over waters to the southeast of Albany will deepen and move in an easterly direction during Friday. A showery flow with strong and gusty west to southwesterly winds is developing to the north and west of the low.
DAMAGING WIND GUSTS with peak gusts of around 90 km/h are possible over coastal parts of the South Coastal and South East Coastal districts today. Conditions are expected to ease from the west during the afternoon, then clear during the evening as the low moves eastward.
Locations which may be affected include Albany, Esperance, Mount Barker, Hopetoun, Israelite Bay and Walpole.
Severe weather is no longer occurring in the South West district and the warning for this district is CANCELLED.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.