Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Sydney and Greater Wollongong areas.
Issued at 4:19 pm Friday, 1 October 2021.
Weather Situation: Persistent storms are passing over the same area near and south of Camden.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:15 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Campbelltown and Badgerys Creek. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east. They are forecast to affect Sutherland and Liverpool by 4:45 pm and Hornsby, Parramatta and Sydney Olympic Park by 5:15 pm.
Damaging winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.