Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Hunter, Central Tablelands and parts of Mid North Coast, Illawarra, Southern Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes and Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 1:00 pm Thursday, 14 October 2021.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING ABOUT THE EASTERN SLOPES AND RANGES, TRACKING EAST DURING THE AFTERNOON
Weather situation: A dynamic cold front associated with a deep low pressure system in SA is tracking east across the state today. This system will result in the development of severe thunderstorms across eastern NSW as the day progresses.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Armidale, Orange, Goulburn, Tamworth, Gunnedah and Narrabri.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.