Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Lower Western and Upper Western Forecast Districts.
Issued at 3:18 pm Thursday, 14 October 2021.
Damaging wind gusts are occurring over the Upper Western district.
Weather Situation: A low-pressure center approaching western NSW is directing strengthening west to northwesterly winds over the Upper Western district.
West to northwesterly winds averaging 40 to 60 km/h with localised DAMAGING WIND GUSTS exceeding 90 km/h are occurring and expected to continue over the Upper Western district this afternoon before easing into the evening.
Locations which may be affected include Tibooburra, Wilcannia, White Cliffs, Wanaaring, Fowlers Gap and Milparinka.
91 km/h wind gust was recorded at White Cliffs AWS at 2:48 pm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.