Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Illawarra and parts of South Coast, Southern Tablelands, Snowy Mountains, Australian Capital Territory and Central Tablelands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 11:01 am Friday, 5 August 2022.
Damaging winds over parts of the southeast today.
Weather Situation: A complex low pressure system moving across the eastern Great Australian Bight and an associated trough and cold front are causing vigorous west to northwesterly winds across southeast NSW today.
DAMAGING WINDS with peak gusts of around 90 km/h are expected about the high terrain and eastern slopes from the Alps and along the Great Dividing Range from Bombala to south of about Crookwell, and also over the Illawarra from the escarpment to the coast.
These conditions may persist through into this evening before weakening overnight or before dawn on Saturday.
Saturated soils in the Central Tablelands and Illawarra bring an increased risk of gusty winds toppling trees and powerlines.
Locations which may be affected include Wollongong, Nowra, Bowral, Braidwood, Goulburn, Cooma, Bredbo, Adaminaby and Nimmitabel.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.