Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Gold Coast Council Area.
Issued at 12:13 pm Friday, 22 October 2021.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 12:10 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Hope Island, South Stradbroke Island and Coomera. These thunderstorms are slow moving. They are forecast to affect waters off South Stradbroke Island by 12:40 pm.
Damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.
101mm was recorded in 1 hour at Luggage Point (Brisbane Airport) to 11:18pm
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.