Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Gympie, Logan, Somerset, Scenic Rim, Sunshine Coast and Noosa Council Areas.
Issued at 4:20 pm Friday, 22 October 2021.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:15 pm, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near the area east of Gympie, the area northeast of Gympie and the area south of the NSW border. These thunderstorms are moving towards the north. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Kandanga, Goomboorian and Toolara Forest by 4:45 pm and the area south of Gympie, the area southeast of Gympie and Tin Can Bay by 5:15 pm.
Other severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near the area between Boonah and Beaudesert. They are forecast to affect Rainbow Beach, Wide Bay and Inskip by 5:15 pm.
Damaging, locally destructive winds, large, possibly giant hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.
101mm was recorded in 1 hour at Luggage Point (Brisbane Airport) to 11:18am.
A weak tornado was observed at Brisbane Airport earlier this morning.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.