Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of Gympie and Scenic Rim Council Areas.
Issued at 5:32 pm Friday, 22 October 2021.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:25 pm, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near the area northeast of Gympie and Toolara Forest. These thunderstorms are moving towards the north. Other severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Gympie and the area north of Gympie. They are forecast to affect Kooralbyn and Mount Kanighan by 5:55 pm and Laravale by 6:25 pm.
Damaging, locally destructive winds, large, possibly giant hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.
- 4.5cm hail was reported near Kilcoy around 3:40pm
- 101mm was recorded in 1 hour at Luggage Point (Brisbane Airport) to 11:18am.
- A weak tornado was observed at Brisbane Airport earlier this morning.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.