Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Ipswich, Logan, Scenic Rim, Gold Coast and parts of Somerset, Lockyer Valley and Brisbane City Council Areas.
Issued at 6:20 pm Saturday, 4 December 2021.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 6:15 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Boonah and Rosevale. These thunderstorms are moving towards the northeast. They are forecast to affect Beaudesert, Laidley and the area between Boonah and Beaudesert by 6:45 pm and Ipswich, Coolangatta and Fernvale by 7:15 pm.
Damaging, locally destructive winds, large, possibly giant hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.
Mutliple locations over the border have recorded damaging wind gusts in excess of 90 km/h, peaking at 139 km/h at Byron Bay.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.