Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in Mallee, Wimmera and parts of Central, South West, Northern Country and North Central Forecast Districts.
Issued at 5:39 pm Thursday, 28 October 2021.
Weather Situation: Severe thunderstorms continuing this afternoon and evening.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. There is a slight risk of giant hail and locally destructive wind gusts with storms across the Mallee and Northern Country. Locations which may be affected include Mildura, Horsham, Bendigo, Seymour and Maryborough.
89km/h gusts at Longerenong 1437
85km/h gust at Horsham at 1429
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, drains, low-lying areas and floodwater. Avoid travel if possible.
* Stay safe by avoiding dangerous hazards, such as floodwater, mud, debris, damaged roads and fallen trees.
* Be aware - heat, fire or recent storms may make trees unstable and more likely to fall when it's windy or wet.
* Check that loose items, such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured. Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Stay indoors and away from windows.
* If outdoors, move to a safe place indoors. Stay away from trees, drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
* Stay away from fallen powerlines - always assume they are live.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks. Heavy rainfall may also increase the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay informed: Monitor weather warnings, forecasts and river levels at the Bureau of Meteorology website, and warnings through VicEmergency website/app/hotline.