Source: Bureau of Meteorology
For people in parts of South Coastal, Great Southern and Central Wheat Belt districts.
Issued at 3:10 pm Friday, 17 June 2022.
Severe thunderstorms over the South West Land Division this afternoon.
Weather Situation: Thunderstorms are forming over parts of south west WA ahead of an approaching cold front, causing heavy rainfall and isolated damaging wind gusts.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Katanning, Narrogin, Northam, Pingelly, Wagin and Wongan Hills.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Central West, Lower West and South West districts and the warning for these districts is CANCELLED.
Pearce RAAF recorded 21.2mm in 30 minutes
Watheroo recorded 35.6mm in 2hrs
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If there is flooding, create your own sandbags by using pillow cases filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
* Slow down and turn your headlights on.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* If it is raining heavily and you cannot see, pull over and park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears.